Sunday, February 9, 2014

Angelfall ( Penryn and the End of Days Book #1) by Susan Ee

f
 The Book                                                          

Title: Angelfall
Author: Susan Ee
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Source: Purchased
Age Group: Young Adult (YA)
Overall: ♥♥♥♥♥

It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.
 My Thoughts                                                    

I normally avoid YA angel stories at all cost. They often are too cliche and every now and then I end up being bored, which results in me being annoyed and not picking up any other book soon, because a bad reading experience can ruin it all for you. And thus a reading slump is born.

Still, I decided to give Angelfall a try, because the synopsis sounded awesome and a few really cool people on booktube were raving about it non-stop.

Penryn is trying to survive in a world that was destroyed by angels. Together with her sister Page and her mad mother she roams from one place to another in order to find food and shelter. When they happen to witness a few angels fighting each other, Penryn jumps in to help the angel whose wings were cut off, which results in saving the angel, but Page being kidnapped. Penryn will do anything to get her sister back, even if it means going directly into the angels lair. And there is a wingless angel, who is in her debt and can surely help her on her mission...can he?

I loved Angelfall. Every page, every sentence and every word of it. It was so utterly entertaining that even now I have to smile when I think about a few really funny scenes.
The writing wasn´t very flowery, which is really fitting, because the author describes a post-apocalyptic world. Flowery words would really feel out of place.

The characterization of Penryn and Raffee is outstanding! They are bursting with personality, which made this book so special for me. I especially enjoyed that there is no inst-love going on between those two. It was so different from everything I´ve read before!
Then there is the creepiness level. There are some really horrible parts and gruesome scenes that really made me flinch. But I loved even that, because damn, it made me flinch, which means I really felt it!

The story itself is fast-paced and full of action, which is probably the reason why I finished this rather short book in a very small amount of time.
The most mysterious character - with lots of potential - is probably Penryn´s mother. She fascinates me so much with her madness and I never know what she will do next. It adds another level of creepiness to the story when you get to know that maybe Penry´s mother is the reason Page ended up being crippled...

I ordered the second book in the series a few days ago and I can´t wait to dive back into this wonderful world fullof  mysteries and yes, brutality.

The Yearning Mermaid says:" If you are sick of the typical YA stories and want something a little bit different, then pick up Angelfall asap! I´m sure you won´t regret it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...